The BioEnergy Activity Module (BEAM) Initiative is an Eastern Kentucky University Center for Renewable and Alternative Fuel Technologies project dedicated to providing Kentucky educators within the Appalachian Regional Commission service area free kits that contain supplies and lessons for four bioenergy-related classroom activities.
Initiative Goal: Introduce activities to supplement bioenergy-related classroom curriculum in school districts within the ARC service region to foster students' interest in energy and environmental sciences.
Due to an overwhelming demand, supplies for the 2012 BEAM Kits have run out! Fortununately, the majority of supplies for our kits can be purchased at your local Wal-Mart, Kroger, Meijer, etc.
BEAM Kit Details
- Free modules only available to Kentucky schools within ARC service region
- Supplies, Lesson Plans, Teacher Guides, Linkages to Core Content Standards, & more for following four classroom activities:
- Exploring Ethanol: Observing the production of carbon dioxide by yeast utilizing sugars from different feedstocks to determine ethanol production potential. (Serves up to 90 students when in groups of three)
- Fantastic Bio-Plastics: Creating biodegradable plastics from starch to demonstrate how plastics could be developed from renewable resources such as corn. (Serves up to 90 students)
- Carbon Footprint: Observing how CO2 and other greenhouse gases can accumulate in the air's atmosphere leading to the depletion of Earth's ozone layer. (Serves up to 90 students when in groups of three)
- Burning Biomass: Comparing the energy values of multiple renewable biomass feedstocks. (Serves up to 90 students when in groups of three)
- Targeted for middle and high school students, but can be modified for elementary students
- Approximately $60 value in supplies!
- Modules may be delivered directly to schools at no cost!
Eligible Kentucky Counties: Adair, Bath, Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Casey, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Cumberland, Edmonson, Elliott, Estill, Fleming, Floyd, Garrard, Green, Greenup, Harlan, Hart, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Lincoln, McCreary, Madison, Magoffin, Martin, Menifee, Metcalfe, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Nicholas, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Pulaski, Robertson, Rockcastle, Rowan, Russell, Wayne, Whitley, and Wolfe